Pages

21/11/2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

I love creepy books, and this is super creepy. Synopsis (taken from goodreads):

"Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong."


I absolutely adore this book! I think it's fabulous. I love Mara, she's such an easy-to-like character, and Noah is slightly, only a little, perfect.

Mara is the most unstable, unreliable main character ever, and there were so many times where I was questioning myself, like 'Is this real or is it a hallucination?' And I loved that because it added to whole mysterious vibe this book was giving me. It's all about finding out what happened the night her friends were killed, but I think it's much deeper than that, I think it's more about finding herself and discovering who she is and what she can do.

I have to get on to some negatives right now, and it's yet another British boy in an American based novel and dear God, the author got it wrong, yet again. Let me show you an example: "It was an absolute pleasure, Indi. Daniel, we MUST talk and Joseph it was wonderful to meet you". REALLY. I've lived in London for the majority of my life and no one is that posh, I'm pretty sure this book wasn't set in the Victorian times. It was so off-putting and made me dislike Noah a little bit.

Another thing I disliked was the whole Twilight thing this book had going on, Noah picks her up, takes her to school and they exit the car and have everyone watching them, sounds really familiar doesn't it? I just hate the cheesiness of it! But that's about as cheesy as it got, so I guess that can be overlooked.

I really hope the next in the series is a step up from this book, I know that's a high expectation to have, but many sequels aren't as good as the first book, so I just hope the next one is! I need to get my hands on it, pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment