Pages

26/05/2016

A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J Maas

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury 
Author: Sarah J Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Date Published: 3rd May 2016
Pages: 640
Source: Bought
*Description of the book is not included just in case I spoil anyone for the first book! This is the second book in a series, the first being: A Court of Thorns and Roses! Do not read ahead unless you don't mind reading potential spoilers for the first book and also possibly for this book!* 

Again, beware of spoilers.

 I want to keep this review really short and sweet, although... it may not all be completely sweet. I had some issues with this book and I'm actually terrified to write them all down because I know so so so many people absolutely loved this and devoured it within a day or two. It took me ages to finish this, by the end I just wanted it to be over with. Not because it wasn't good, it was really good but I felt like it was just dragging sometimes and nothing spectacularly important was really happening. Before I get into more detail, I just want to clarify that I did really enjoy this book and I am so excited for the next one!

Feyre. I honestly don't remember if I liked her or not in the first book, and I'm still really confused about my feelings towards her. She's not a completely likeable person, but then she really doesn't have any negative traits either. I find that sometimes she really bugs me, and I think that I'd like this book a lot more if she were different. It's so important to have a likeable main character and I think that's part of the reason why I was rushing to finish this book so I could read other things that would be more enjoyable.

The one thing I really did love about this book was the chemistry between Rhys and Feyre. I loved the setup of having Rhysand as a love interest for Feyre at the end of the first book and think it was perfect. Their flirting was perfect, they had immense chemistry and it felt right that things happened the way they did, slowly. We all knew it was coming, it was so nice to have it finally confirmed. Although I thought there were too many irrelevant sex scenes that I found myself skipping through, I know what happens when people have sex, I don't need to have all the details - I think that sometimes it's best left to the imagination, you know? I don't mind a few, I mean... I love reading sex scenes as much as the next person, but they didn't really add much to the story *apart from one or two of them*.

I had odd feelings about Tamlin, I didn't really know what to feel. I loved him in the first book, I mean who didn't? But he wasn't in this book as much and I found myself feeling sorry for him at times. But I have to say I much prefer Rhys over Tamlin, I did from the minute we realised he was going to be a bigger character in this series. There's just something about him...

The plot was really good, I loved the different hoops that Feyre et al had to jump through and the introduction to new characters. The ending was somewhat expected, but also unexpected at the same time. Although there were times in the book that I had a different idea as to what would happen and was kind of disappointed that Maas decided to take the story in a different route, I thought mine would have been a little better (haha!). I thought the writing was really good, but I'm not a massive fan of pages and pages of description and I thought there was so much information about rooms and skies that we could have done without, I found myself skipping a few paragraphs of description pretty often.

Other than all of that, I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to find out what happens. I rated this book 4* on Goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment