Pages

16/05/2018

REVIEW: Holding Up The Universe - Jennifer Niven

Title: Holding Up The Universe
Author: Jennifer Niven
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Date Published: 04/10/2016
Pages/Length:  9h3mins
Format: Audiobook

Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything.
Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can’t recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone.
Until he meets Libby. When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game—which lands them in group counseling and community service—Libby and Jack are both pissed, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world, theirs and yours
This book was honestly nothing like I was expecting. I really really enjoyed it and I absolutely loved Libby as a character.



This book was my second ever audiobook and I really enjoyed reading it in this format. It was the perfect book to get me into audiobooks and I really think that was key in helping me for my feelings for this review.

I have no idea where I'm going to start with this book, I just really fucking loved it. It was incredible. It was a good amount of serious and sad, and happy and lovely and cute and heartbreaking and awful. It was everything, and it was balanced. Those are the most perfect type of books, the ones where one minute you're sad and on the verge of tears, and the next you're smiling and laughing to yourself.

Libby has immediately become one of my all-time favourite characters. I loved her attitude to things. She'd been through quite an ordeal, and yet she's still positive and strong. She still believes in herself and she's still determined to do what makes her happy despite what other people may think of her. I love that, I admire that. I wish I could be like that. She just doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks and that is something that more people need to be like.

I could honestly listen to this book all day. In fact... I did listen to this book all day. I spent ALL day on it, I even ignored phone calls so I wasn't interrupted. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I know a younger me would have absolutely loved it even more.

I related to Libby, I related to her feelings and I felt her pain. Obviously, not quite to the same extent, but I could easily put myself in her shoes and understand what she was feeling. I think being able to relate to the character gave this book a whole other meaning to me, and made me love it more than if I couldn't relate to her. It really hit a nerve, and even taught me a few things.

Libby was strong. She was determined and she did what she wanted. She went after what she wanted and she didn't let her differences hold her back. She worked too damn hard to be bullied and ridiculed. I wish I was as half as strong as she was. She taught me that I can be myself and not be ashamed or embarrassed of it. I can do what I want to do and not worry what other people think. This is my life.

I rated this book 4* on Goodreads! Have you read this? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment