Pages

02/06/2018

REVIEW: The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Date Published: 18/09/2012
Pages: 409
Format: Audiobook/eBook

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
This book was so damn hyped up, that when it showed up on my library's page as an audiobook, I thought now was as good a time as any to give it a try. The synopsis was intriguing, the book was... okay but it wasn't great and doesn't make me want to continue with the series. I enjoyed it, but I didn't really understand its point.


I think the problem with this book was that I didn't connect with any of the characters. I didn't understand the friendship between Blue and the boys. I thought their friendship was just pushed and forced, and then suddenly they're all bestfriends out of nowhere? It was odd and unnatural.

I sort of enjoyed the story, but I didn't really understand the point of it. I didn't really get why the events in the book were happening. What's the point?!

This book reminded me of the Throne of Glass series, because they're a) hyped up like crazy, b) unenjoyable and c) lacked depth.

I have a feeling though, that if I were to re-read the book, now that I have an idea of what is going on - the overall point of the story will fall into place a lot easier? I just feel like this book is one that you really need to push and work on to understand, rather than just having it all fall into place as you read it for the first time.

I'm not sure if any of this is making sense, I hope I'm not the only one to feel this way! But I did complete it, and I did enjoy it to an extent. I also remember laughing out loud at some of the conversations going on, so there were definitely positives, I just don't think it's for me. #

I rated this 3* on Goodreads.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you ahaha! I was confused af 99% of the time while reading this series, even after reading the final books some events are just not explained. However, I really like the weird magical feeling this book gives, and I love Noah way too much!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete