Pages

10/02/2019

JANUARY 2019 WRAP UP

Hello hello. I know this is late but you know what they say, better late than never! I'm coming to you today with my January 2019 wrap up. I read a grand total of 19 books in January. I know. It's a lot.

Honestly, I just want to put it out there that I had a lot of time off work due to depression and anxiety, so I spent most of the month reading.

I also wanted to mention that audiobooks were my actual best friends during January so that's another reason why this wrap up is bloody huge. I wish every month could be like this (reading wise, not mental health wise d'oh).

A whole lotta books, eh! I can't go into detail about every single one, this would be a bloody long post if I did but I will go through the best/worst!



The ones I really liked: 

I really really enjoyed Pretty Little Things - T.M.E Walsh. It's a thriller involving a serial killer & missing girls. It was a ride, let me tell you and BOY did I not see the end coming. A complete whirlwind, I highly recommend.

Bruiser - Neal Shusterman was also a really good read. It's about a boy who has the ability to take the pain away from loved ones. So if his brother gets punched in the face and Bruiser is nearby, he will feel the pain instead of the brother. Really really good.

All Your Perfects - Colleen Hoover was probably the best book of the month by far. It was exactly what I expected from a Colleen Hoover book about a troubled marriage and some tough tough issues. If you enjoy Colleen Hoover's works, this one will not disappoint.

A special shout-out to The Gilded Wolves - Roshani Chokshi, No Exit - Taylor Adams, Five Feet Apart - Rachael Lippincott and City of Ghosts - Victoria Shwab. All really great books!

The ones I didn't much like:

I hated The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood. I really think classics are just not for me. I couldn't care about any of the characters and I just found the writing dull and not at all intriguing. It's a shame because the world was interesting, but the execution was just meh. I think this was just way too overhyped and ended up being a huge let-down.

Twisted River - Siobhan MacDonald. What an absolutely fucking awful book. I really can't express how rubbish this book is. We were following two families who did a house swap. One in Ireland and one in New York. That's where the excitement ends. One of the families just gets completely forgotten about and it's mainly focused on the Irish family. Boring. The whole mystery sounded interesting to begin with but the climax was bland, the reasoning behind things were stupid and there were SO MANY QUESTIONS LEFT UNANSWERED. Frustrating to say the least.

Sadie - Courtney Summers. I know. Ok I was really hyped for this too but it was just boring. It was really boring and I just didn't care. I couldn't care less about Sadie or who did what to her sister. I literally couldn't care and that was the biggest issue I had with it. I couldn't connect so the rest just fell flat. The audiobook was really good though. Wop.

---

So there are my best and worst thoughts of January. If you want to know my thoughts for any of the other books, let me know. There's a lot to say about some of them!

What was your favourite/worst read of the month?








2 comments:

  1. I saw more people who didn't write a GREAT review on The Handmaidens Tale and I think I wont pick it up soon :)...

    I do hope you liked Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think classics aren't my cup of tea!

      I love Harry Potter! Always make it a point to read at least one of the books every year!

      Delete