Pages

19/11/2013

Recommendations: Top 4 YA Boarding School Books

In No Particular Order: 
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins 
Okay, so this is basically about a girl, Sophie who has these magical powers that she's been trying to hide for most of her life. One day at prom, she slips up and gets sent to this boarding school for all magical beings (who are called prodigium, and consist of werewolves, shapeshifters, witches, warlocks and even a vampire). There she meets new people, and discovers more about herself and her family. She ends up discovering things about herself that she didn't know before. It's a really good book, it's lighthearted and funny. If you're into YA fantasy and really like witches, then this is definitely the book for you. The characters are really like-able, and although the writing-style isn't spectacular, it's not too distracting. It's not my favourite book, and I didn't enjoy the rest of the trilogy (actually I haven't finished the last book because it just became really predictable and weird, but this first book was good.


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerors) Stone 
If you don't know about this then have you been living under a rock for the past 20 years?  
You probably all know that Harry and his friends attend Hogwarts, a boarding school for wizards in the UK. I think it has to be the best boarding school fantasy book I've ever read. It's such a legendary series, I don't even think I have to review it properly. But if you do want a review on any books in this series, then I will be happy to do them! Just let me know in the comments!



Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins 
As you can see, I'm currently reading this book, and I love it! It's not usually the type of book I'm into, I don't really like the teen romance books because they're all cheesy, predictable and they aren't very realistic at all! I'd love to read one that is realistic! Or maybe they are, and my love life whilst I was in school just sucked!
Anna Oliphant is an average American girl living in Atlanta, when her father (an author!) tells her she's going to a boarding school in Paris. Yes, PARIS. She wasn't all very happy with that, but once she arrives and meets Etienne St. Clair, she starts to enjoy her time. I haven't read much of this book, but I love the characters, I love that it's set in Paris, and the school seems so fun to attend! It's reminding me of the years I took French in Secondary School! The writing-style is great! The humour is actually funny (for once) and the characters are really likeable. I think the beginnings of romance are easy for girls, and maybe boys to relate to because the build up of the romance is awkward and weird and uncomfortable and everything you'd expect it to be! Really enjoying this book, I definitely recommend it if you like teen romance, Paris and schools that might aswell be universities!

Looking for Alaska - John Green 
This book is my favourite John Green book ever! I absolutely adored this book. I didn't read the synopsis, I knew nothing about it, I just heard so many people ranting and raving about it and thought I'd give it a try, and I'm so glad I didn't know anything about it because everything was just a big surprise. I don't remember the last time I felt so many emotions! It was a bit like a boarding school for out of control teens, but then again who doesn't smoke in the field or skip classes etc.
It follows Pudge (Miles), who moves to Culver Creek boarding school, and ends up meeting the beautiful but slightly self-destructive Alaska Young. Their friendship grows, and it's just such a great coming-of-age type of book! I guess? I don't want to give anything away, but a big twist happens, and we go through it all with the characters. The way it's written makes me feel like I'm actually there with them, experiencing everything, especially when they play all these pranks on the school and other students! It's such a funny but heartbreaking book. It really messes with your emotions. I recommend this book to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment