Pages

18/02/2016

The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins

The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins 
"Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?" - Goodreads

This is definitely not the usual type of book that I'd want to pick up and read but I am so glad that I did! I wasn't sure what to expect from the synopsis, it's kind of a little bit cryptic and didn't really give much away, which I guess... is the whole point. If anyone is sceptical about whether or not to read this, I'd definitely recommend it. It's so much more than the synopsis lets on! 

My Goodreads deleted all my updates and comments as I was reading it, for some reason! So I'm going by memory for the rest of this review! 

Rachel was both an amazing and pathetic character, sometimes I loved her and other times she made me cringe like crazy! One thing I'm sure about is that I was always on her side.. always, even if she was in the wrong. I just wanted things to go well for her, I wanted her to be happy and to have an amazing life! 

My favourite thing about Rachel was her imagination. God, she had the most amazing, creative mind ever. I couldn't imagine being able to come up with all these random stories and day dreams for random people and their lives, making up names for them etc. It was so so impressive. 

This book is written from 3 points of view: Rachel, Megan and Anna's. I have to say that I really didn't like Megan's POV at all, I found myself wishing she'd stop talking so we can get back to Rachel or Anna. If you've read the book, you'll know why I enjoyed reading Anna's POV and it's not for good reasons... 

There were so many twists and turns throughout this book, some were expected and some were completely unexpected but I wouldn't say anything was shocking.. which I actually love because with these types of books, you want to know 'who dunnit' right, and you want to be able to guess and see if you were right! It was incredibly fast paced and pretty much the definition of a page-turner. 

I'm honestly having withdrawal symptoms, if any of you know any other books that are similar to this, with a similar kind of feel and storyline then let me know! I bet this is going to make it onto my 'favourites of 2016' list at the end of the year! I bet you it will. Watch this space ;) 

Have you read this book? Did you like it? Did I make you want to read this?! Hit me up in the comments! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I've not yet read it myself, but I keep seeing it everywhere so I feel like I will do one day. It seems like an interesting read at least! Great review :)

    ~ Ashleigh | https://afrolicthroughfiction.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete