Pages

06/12/2013

Does reading romance books make you feel sad?

Sometimes when I read books that have a lot of romance in them I feel really sad and depressed.
I try and read books that don't have any kind of a love or relationship story-line, but there's not many YA books around that don't have even a little of that.

I've been single for a few years now, and since then I've only had a few small non-serious flings with guys. Recently though I haven't had anything of the sort! When I read books about two characters falling for each other, it makes me feel a little nostalgic and it makes me miss it. I guess that's normal though!

I think it's so unlikely that they nearly always end up together and everything ends all happily ever after, everyone loves a good fairytale but when you're missing the feeling of a relationship and having someone love you it's not really good for the self-esteem!

Anyone else feel the same way?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know what you mean. It can be depressing if you compare yourself to an unrealistic-happy-ever-after book. On the other hand, if you're like me, I usually live the book while I'm reading it. I become the character and feel what they are feeling. So, I get more depressed by gritty reality books. Real life often sucks--books are an escape for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean. I too have been single for MANY years and from where I sit I don't see that aspect of my life changing in the near future. Now that I have my Author's hat on I try to be as realistic as possible when I write my stories. However, I have a small group of friends who read my rough drafts as each chapter is written, and they're always campaigning for the "Happy Ending". I was going to do it. I was going to give my story that realistic ending and you should've seen their comments. They even started a catchy chant as they begged me to not leave them with the realistic ending that most of us deal with. I can admit that I still struggle with this as I continue to write. Everyone doesn't get a happy ending, cause if they did "Where is mine?"

    ReplyDelete