Pages

06/12/2013

Suicide Game - Haidji

I received this from the author to review.

*taken from goodreads* 
Eight thousand candidates sign up for the Suicide Game. Only one can win. Their destination: the Night Stadium, a place of makeup and music, fear and adrenaline, blood and romance, celebration and death.
Each candidate has his or her own reason for entering the Game. The Council runs the Game. The outcome of the Game is left to fate...in the laps of the gods. The candidates will jump to their deaths in order to win everything, before capacity crowds in the Stadium. The public follows every jump, live on TV and on their mobile screens, choosing their favorite candidates and betting on their lives. 

I wasn't sure if I would like this at first. The synopsis and the title reminded me a little of The Hunger Games and I didn't want to have that in the back of my mind, comparing it while I read it because that's really not a fair way to judge a book. Although there are similarities, the plot is entirely different from THG so the comparing quickly stopped. 

The writing style of the book was a little confused for me, some sentences I found just didn't really make sense at all (or maybe I just didn't understand them). Other than that, the pace of the story was very good and the descriptions were well thought out. 

The one thing I really really did like about this book was that it wasn't predictable at all. Just when you think you know where it's going, and you start to role your eyes because you feel like you've read the same thing a billion times, something comes in and BAM it all changes and you're just like oh oh oh wait what oh. I love having those feelings because it's such a shock to the system and makes reading so much more enjoyable. 

It's very science fictiony, and although that's not really something I've ever been into, I really enjoyed those aspects and I think I'll try and read more science fiction based books! 

Overall, it was a very good read, I can't say it was the best but for a self-published book, it's one of the top ones I've read. I'd definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment