Pages

15/02/2014

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

If I Stay is an emotional, heartbreaking story about a girl who's lost everything. After a fatal incident one snowy day, Mia experiences an out of body experience as she watches herself being carried away from the accident and into the ambulance. She has a choice. To stay or to go.

I really liked this book, it wasn't as dark as I thought it'd be and I guess that's a good thing. It's a really small book which I read in a day, I literally could not put it down because I just wanted to know what would happen.

I found myself spinning the story around and putting my feet into Mia's shoes, wondering what my family would be like if I was critically wounded in a hospital. This book opens up so many doors that you didn't realised needed opening, it left a lot of the questions I had, answered. Which was a really big thing for me, suffering from depression, I've thought about killing myself countless times, and I've read a lot of books that deal with depression and suicide (The Program and Thirteen Reasons Why included), but after finishing If I Stay, I realised that there would be people in the world who would never want to see anything bad happen to me, and Mia is so blessed, it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside because of the support she received.

Mia was such an interesting character, she's not the typical female protagonist that we see in most YA books which I absolutely love, she was so different and unique, I think she pulled the whole story together and I wouldn't have liked it as much if she wasn't such a loveable character because the story itself did fall a bit flat and could have been improved, but Mia made it. She really did.

I kind of would have preferred if Forman did explore this story in a much darker way. Where the times in the book where I was like, oh this would have been better if this happened, I just really wanted the book to make me cry but it wasn't written in a way that made me feel truly emotional. I understand it's hard for books for make people cry, especially tough cookies like me, but it could have been written better on an emotional level. It was pretty light for the type of themes it was exploring.

Other than that I really enjoyed this quick little read, and would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment